Re: [xmca] Gratier, Greenfield, & Isaac

Michael, I appreciate the long message. I joined this list to learn (and it
is difficult to learn without making comments). I imagine that Vygotsky
would have responded the way you did.  I have learnt in context. But I think
one thing I did not write clearly is that the family literacy program I
referred to features a different approach than what is typically taught in
classroom; the preschool teacher, who is of middle-to-upper social class,
planned her lessons by reflecting on what she had done with her own children
when they were young. So, the teaching mirrored "the natural way" or
everyday experience. That's how I see it. My ideal school practices mirror
life, or rather life is brought to school.

Speaking of writers in their pajamas or without them, I have a story to
share: "Liu Ling, another member of the Seven Worthies, is well known for
his fondness for wine. Never without a bottle in hand, when travelling he
would ask an attendant to carry a shovel, so that he could be buried on the
spot should he die from a bout of drunkenness (Jin shu 49). Answering his
critics, who found him naked, drinking with abandon in his house, Liu said,
“I take heaven and earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and
pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?” (Shishuo xinyu 23.6)"
-- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Yuan