Re: [xmca] Culturally responsive math ed.

An important topic, and one that will keep coming back at us.

Reading the thoughtful review that Mike attached, I could not help thinking that if we want teachers or students to understand "the culture of mathematics", we ought not to isolate it and reify it as if it were a full-blown "culture" in the anthropological meaning of the term. We need to understand how the subculture of mathematicians is part and parcel of larger historical cultures and communities/ societies. And what its relationships are to other subcultures, such as middle-class (really upper-middle class/professional) subculture.

It is perfectly possible to become a competent member of a culture/ subculture without having much of any understanding of it (why it is as it is, how it could be otherwise, how it got to be as it is, etc.). Many professional mathematicians lack such understandings, but I really don't want students to be brought so blindly into that culture.

If we wish the teaching of mathematics (or any other disciplinary subculture) to be "culturally responsive", it must be so by exploring the relationships of that subculture to the cultural habits and practices of students, and that can really only done by placing both within some larger framework in which they have intelligible relationships to one another.

For an interesting dissection of some of the ideologies of the culture of mathematics, in relation to school-age learning, I'd recommend the work of Valerie Walkerdine, a one-time student of Basil Bernstein and a brilliant feminist critical theorist.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor (Adjunct, 2009-2010)
Educational Studies
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
www.umich.edu/~jaylemke

Visiting Scholar
Laboratory for Comparative Human Communication
University of California -- San Diego
La Jolla, CA
USA 92093