RE: [xmca] a teacher's resignation

Mike,
Thanks for your comments.  I agree that bean counting approach to
education did not begin with Bush or NCLB (I also agree with your critique of
the letter) as well as your sentiment against sitting around and lamenting.  In fact, even though teacher ended up
resigning, overall my project and her curriculum was hopeful. Her multimedia
curriculum focused on the meaningful inquiry “where I live". The teacher and the
children never stopped at describing the problems and instead always involved the
children problem solving and developing solutions. I
agree we must do the same thing.  All of the suggestions: an op-ed piece, editorial,
articles, etc. are great and I  will definitely follow-up on them. I am, like so many others, dedicated to doing "something more".  As
a teacher educator, it is very exciting to teach high quality curriculum, yet very discouraging
to send teachers out into the schools where they have little room to be innovative. Certainly continued research emphasizing the benefits of inquiry and project based education is
fundamental.  I was so excited to see Linda Darling Hammond so influential in the Obama campaign – it gave me hope.  I guess I am wondering if a sustained unified
movement toward Vygotskian inspired pedagogy exists at the policy level?

Here is a poem from one of the sixth grade
students from when I did my study (a few years ago). It is a bit more hopeful then the letter…..

Meant to Live For So Much More
by Jessie

We were meant to live for so much more

But we lost ourselves

Lost ourselves in our hatred, our burden,

Our money, our greed.

We were meant to live

But we lost ourselves

In the sorrow and the pain

Making our world, more insane.

People kill each other

People killing their fellow brothers

People don't care for one another

We were truly meant to live for so much more.

But we still act monstrous,

Devouring the lives of residents,

Burning down houses,

But where is our great president?

He cares about the war in Iraq,

When there is a war right here.

Gangs are fighting each other.

You see it on the news, here and there,

People come here for the American dream,

But once they get here it is not what it seems

We should be living peacefully.

Like an orchestra we should play in harmony.

If we look at our similarities

Instead of our differences

We can be more brotherly

To our neighbors.