[xmca] Re: microcosm/unit of analysis and xmca discourse

Hi Niolai-- Yes, XMCA discourse can be confusing. Each specific topic opens
up others and the continuations interleave, disappear, reappear. Very
Bakhtinian (except for that early turgid guy that David ran across).

I was specifically focused on your comment that there is a long
philosophical tradition to which we should be privy to understand the
important differences between concept of "unit of analysis" and "microcosm."

Andy, who is trained philosophically, seemed to understand perfectly well
and to agree with you.

All talk of "unit of analysis" without reference to "unit of analysis of
what" makes me nervous. And the term, "consciousness" makes me nervous in
that
I am not always certain what people think they are talking about, although
recent discussions on XMCA seem helpful in that regard.

But somewhere, I believe, LSV refers to perezhivanie as a unti of
development. That has me a little perplexed because perezhivanie appears to
have meant
different things to LSV at different times and to different contemporary
thinkers in different writings.

Dima Leontiev, somewhere, raises this issue with respect to H20 when
speaking of how the synthesis of hydrogen and oxygen under particular
conditions helps one to understand oceans.

I think a similar thing is happening with your question about word meaning
and unit of analysis for consciousness. As I understand, you are seeking to
clarify the relation between two concepts, neither of which has a
conventional
meaning or well developed empirical examples that serve as a common
background for discussion.

But that idea, too, is certainly contestable, if anyone cares to do so....
and thereby enlighten us all.
mike

PS-- Note that I am changing the subject line. As the note at the end of all
digest notes indicates, its good to do so before responding because it helps
people track the conversation.