Re: [xmca] On Marxist and non-Marxist aspects of the cultural-historical psychology of L.S. Vygotsky by Nikolai Veresov

You are using XMCA just fine, Ulvi.

David-- As usual there is a lot to discuss in your comments. I want to pick
up on just one where you and I either disagree or talk past each other. I
would like exclude the latter possibility so we could hone in on what the
disgreement is and what its resolution might be.

You write:
For Vygotsky the sources of the crisis, like the neoformation itself, lies
within the child. (Whether Martin likes it or not, that is what he says!).

What constantly confuses me in such statements is what "within the child"
means (and this is probably related to the use of perezhivanie as a unit of
analysis for the study of ontogenetic development, to echo a prior message).

The biological development of the pre-frontal cortex is clearly one of the
systemic changes that is taking place in the years of roughly 5-10 that are
a part of an important crisis in development a la Vygotsky. And,
conventionally, we can say that these changes are happening "within" the
child. But they are happening in a culturally organized social situation of
development. That SSD
is, as I understand it, both outside the child AND inside the child (as
previously appropriated, interiorized, and transformed, features of the
social interactions of which the child has been a part). The confrontation
of these changing contributions to developmental change give rise to a
neoformation which is..... inside the child (?), inside the child but
manifested externally where they have an influence on, contribute to the
SSD?

How do you, David, and, according to you interpretation, LSAV, manage to
keep so clearly in mind what is inside and outside the child?

Thank you for reminding me to check the polls. We will close tomorrow and
make the article with the most votes availalbe as soon as possible.

mike