[xmca] Vygotsky-text-context-thinking

From: Shirley Franklin <s.franklin who-is-at dsl.pipex.com>
Date: Tue Jul 08 2008 - 13:08:10 PDT

Hi Eric,

I agree with Vygotsky!

I am fascinated that he wrote this because I am/was writing a rather
abortive PhD on precisely this theme.

I was/am interested in applying a Vygotskian approach to learning (of
scientific concepts) to learning the academic literacy "frames" that
are required within and across the different disciplines and within
the range of writing required - reports, essays, etc. ie applying
Vygotsky to e Shirley-style Genre Pedagogy, drawing on Vygotsky and
Halliday et al, both in different ways.

But I also agree with those like Scribner and Cole and Street when
they say that writing is shaped by and reflects culture . However I
agree with Vy when he says that the process of writing itself
develops thought. ie as I write this, it scaffolds my thinking about
the issue. You asking me the question, and me having to reply in the
form of a Shirley-email (mode) within the XMCA context (field and
mode) makes me further develop my ideas on the topic.

I admit that when I noticed that I was replying to the xmca list I
was somewhat more nervous, and will re-edit this more than I would
have done (tenor) because it is going to the whole list. Does that
process mean I refine my thoughts even more???

I hope this makes sense to you!

Shirley