Re: [xmca] Vygotsky-text-context-thinking

From: <ERIC.RAMBERG who-is-at spps.org>
Date: Tue Jul 08 2008 - 15:21:26 PDT

Shirley:

Literacy and its impact upon human development is a fascinating subject
indeed. I am one who falls short of placing it as THE tool that impacts
the development of higher psychological functions more then any other
semiotic process structure. Such as the process structure of understanding
that sunrise is the beginning of a new day and a full moon represents the
passing of 28 days. Therefore, for me, LSV is a great starting point in
understanding human development but his theories place far too much
emphasis on literacy and in education in general he believed social
engineering would erase many of the ills of society.
Xtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
      cc:
      bcc:
      Subject: [xmca] Vygotsky-text-context-thinking
Shirley Franklin <s.franklin@dsl.pipex.com>
Sent by: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
07/08/2008 09:08 PM CET
Please respond to "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <font
size=-1></font>

Hi Eric,

I agree with Vygotsky!

I am fascinated that he wrote this because I am/was writing a rather
abortive PhD on precisely this theme.

I was/am interested in applying a Vygotskian approach to learning (of
scientific concepts) to learning the academic literacy "frames" that
are required within and across the different disciplines and within
the range of writing required - reports, essays, etc. ie applying
Vygotsky to e Shirley-style Genre Pedagogy, drawing on Vygotsky and
Halliday et al, both in different ways.

But I also agree with those like Scribner and Cole and Street when
they say that writing is shaped by and reflects culture . However I
agree with Vy when he says that the process of writing itself
develops thought. ie as I write this, it scaffolds my thinking about
the issue. You asking me the question, and me having to reply in the
form of a Shirley-email (mode) within the XMCA context (field and
mode) makes me further develop my ideas on the topic.

I admit that when I noticed that I was replying to the xmca list I
was somewhat more nervous, and will re-edit this more than I would
have done (tenor) because it is going to the whole list. Does that
process mean I refine my thoughts even more???

I hope this makes sense to you!

Shirley