Disability? Re: [xmca] Help in teaching and learning maths

From: Shirley Franklin <s.franklin who-is-at dsl.pipex.com>
Date: Tue Jun 10 2008 - 06:39:26 PDT

Hi,

We are touching on interesting ground here, if we describe a problem
in getting maths as a disability.

There is what I think is a very dodgy notion of discalculia, which
implies there is something wrong with the brain.

Problems with Maths I think can relate to a variety of factors.
Thinking that you cant, and being around other maths-phobic people
can promote maths phobia!

Teaching out of the zone also promotes maths failure. But then
establishing where the zpd is is what is important.

Valerie Walkerdine wrote a lovely piece on how kids can get stuck in
the metaphor that is used to teach Maths, rather than the metonym,
the concept. For eg I always think of quarters (the metonym) as juicy
pieces of chocolate cake (the ,metaphor). So learning how to teach
Maths means being able to effectively use metaphors to teach the
abstract metonym. (ref: Walkerdine, V. (1982):'From Context to Text:
a psychosemiotic approach to abstractthought' in M. Beveridge,
(ed.), Children Thinking Through Language. Arnold .)

I think with Andy's niece she needs an I CAn approach ,as a starter!
And fun stuff that shows how she uses Maths in her everyday life.
Then showing how what she uses can be developed to become a bit more
complex, and used in other contexts...

So this is me thinking on the spur of the moment, cos I love teaching
Maths. I think most kids here these days are not phobic, unless there
is a language problem.

Please do not medicalise or label having a difficulty with Maths!
Analyse what the problem is and make Maths fun!

Hope this is mildly helpful

Shirley