Re: [xmca] Help in teaching and learning maths

From: Ng Foo Keong <lefouque who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jun 10 2008 - 06:55:48 PDT

hi Andy,

I am a Cambridge University mathematics graduate, former maths
school-teacher, and I
hail from Singapore --- the world-leader in maths "learning" (ha! ha!
 there is a reason
why i put it in quotes), currently doing my PhD in Education on the
development of
"mathematical identity" in trainee-teachers.

It is my dream one day if/when/after I complete my PhD, i would have
time to reach out
to struggling mathematics learners around the world (especially
America). But first I hope
to understand the situation from all angles (psychological, social,
political, educational,
commercial, technological, ... etc.) and what better way to do that
than to interact with
and help real young maths* learners.

I think i'd be able to devote 1 email per week of free mentorship for
Marissa (not too much,
because I'm working full-time and also studying part-time). Just email me at
lefouque@gmail.com directly.

regards,
Sophus F.K. Ng

* that's the way we abbreviate "mathematics" over here.