RE: Lteter Oerdr?

From: Cunningham, Donald James (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2003 - 19:06:35 PDT

Hi Martin, yes that's my interest in this - abduction as a process of
filling in puzzling experiences. Sometimes abduction is finding the
right bit of prior knowledge, other times it is creating something new.
I was really curious how well known this phenomenon is and what its
evidentiary basis was given that, like Margaret, I was seeing it
referred to more and more often recently. If it is urban legend, so be
it, since it seems pretty self-evident to native English speakers. I
would be interested in how the original passage I posted was perceived
by those with English as a second or other language and if there is a
parallel phenomena in their first language. I think abduction plays a
huge role in reading and others seem to be coming around to
agreeing.......djc

Don Cunningham
Indiana University