Re: Vygotsky's Crisis in Psychology

From: Phil Graham (phil.graham@mailbox.uq.edu.au)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 00:52:00 PDT

At 11:02 PM 1/06/2001 -0400, Eric wrote:
>A good day to you.

And to you!

> People leave closed communities because they are not predisposed to live
> that way.

Yes. But that is beside the point. It would be a mistake to posit It is
very rare for people to inhabit a single "closed" community (I don't
believe there is such a "thing" -- a completely "closed" community, that
is). People generally inhabit multiple, definite, definable, observable
social spaces (communities). These are the basis of the social relations of
production (of whichever kind -- symbolic, psychological, sociological, etc
etc). It is within such relations that our identities become such.

> Always nice to see a post from the Australian Marxist, Harpo that is.

Thanks.
Phil