RE: Re(3): Individual activity?

From: Nate (vygotsky@home.com)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 05:09:49 PDT

Phillip,

I think this is a great example and below are my interpreatations of the
discussion.

I very much enjoyed reading the beautiful replay of children's involvement
in cultural activity. For me, this clearly demonstrates why it is so
important to not forsake the activity or cultural element in understanding
children's engagement.

Now, I would not read this so much as the children all having there own
motives in determining the direction of activity, but rather the importance
of this kind of activity or dialogic engagement in developing the
interesting questions the children are asking. These questions emerge in
certain activies and not others.

To turn this around, it does not make sense to me to situate "individual
agency" as apposed to the activity children are engaged in or attempting to
control the direction of activity. For me, it is the activity itself that
permits the "individual agency" to emerge. I see dialogue and interaction
not some individual struggle for control of group activity.

What I noticed was it began with an individualistic frame as in,

"Then I met with Julio, Maria, Lupita, Luisa and Rosa. Julio read page 22
of “School Mural” with no miscues whatsoever. I decided to focus then on
vocabulary."

This of course is the very dominant frame that teachers have to deal with
daily, one of isolating the individual from the activity they are
participating in. The transformation that occurred makes it more difficult
in my view to approach it with an individualistic frame.

But you end with,

""However, it is clear to mean that individual agency is strongly shaping
the socio-cultural activity here - and some of the historical sources
are clearer than others - but each individual is clearly shaping and
attempting to control the direction of the group activity, even though i
the great teacher has very specific learning goals."

I don't see this, mainly because I saw the discussion as moving away from an
individualistic perspective of learning. What is so interesting bout your
example is for me I would read it as moving from an individualistic analysis
(quote above) to a more collective analysis - the individual action /
untterences do not make sense in themselves only in relation to the activity
it is directed at - yet interestingly at the end the individualistic frame
is brought back in.

Nate

 "The individual, when he apprehends himself as such, is social in his
essence. He is social not as a result of external contingencies, but by
virtue of an internal necessity, by virtue of his genesis." Henri Wallon