re dominant discourse

From: Mike Cole (mcole@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 10:34:23 PDT

Thanks to Angel, Eugene, and others who have commented on the issue of
the dominance of American/English discourse in journal publicaitons. I
could especially relate to the differences between American and Russian
orientations/traditions/styles and I think that Sloutsky and Eugene
captured those well.

I also am involved in these issues from the narrow perspective of an
editor of MCA (Soviet Psychology/JReep is a good source for preferred
Russian style). I believe that we have done "above average" in making
MCA internationally representative, but am not at all satisfied with
the end product in this regard. There is a long way to go.

As one move in this direction ( a very small move from the perspective
of African, Latin American, or Asian scholars, I fear) is that the
central editors starting with volume 9 will be located in England and
we hope to begin rotating "lead editor duties" around the world as
the opportunities arise. We are also planning to have authors whose native
language is not English write an abstract in their native language in
addition to English. Small steps. Larger and more productive steps, and
volunteer to implement them, always welcome.
mike