Re: RE: Re(3): Individual activity?

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 15:57:01 PDT

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:
>Phillip,
>
>I think this is a great example and below are my interpreatations of the
>discussion.
>
>I very much enjoyed reading the beautiful replay of children's involvement
>in cultural activity. For me, this clearly demonstrates why it is so
>important to not forsake the activity or cultural element in understanding
>children's engagement.
>
>Now, I would not read this so much as the children all having there own
>motives in determining the direction of activity, but rather the
>importance
>of this kind of activity or dialogic engagement in developing the
>interesting questions the children are asking. These questions emerge in
>certain activies and not others.

        hah! Nate! i love this! i like what you write, and yes, it makes sense
to me intellectually - and simultaneously i have an emotional tug that
resists. i don't quite know what to make of this. i'm reminded on Ana
Shane's comments from february 16 of this year where she wrote about the
conflict of moral answerability and taking agency out of the individual.
she wrote "if one cannot situate agency in an INDIVIDUAL, if one does not
VALUE an individual, then on one hand one cannot talk about individual
moral answerability, and on the other, destruction of individual cannot be
construed as a crime." (Ana's caps.)

        perhaps i'm mixing bananas and buzz saws.

phillip

* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white