Re: A question to Sara

From: Ricardo Ottoni (rjapias@attglobal.net)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 05:09:47 PST

genevieve patthey-chavez wrote:

> For me, history is more akin to a chorus of ghosts,
> like the one in _Beloved_. And from Paul, I once
> got the insight that we spend a lot of time chasing
> ghosts, even in California, the land without Memory.

Genevieve,

Despite lack of memory that characterizes all american countries
- maybe related to the culture of an agressive colonization - I
understand that History is still alive (Please, note the recently news
from Ecquador).

Some ethnic groups' culture of resistence in America still providing
some memory, although not so organized as it is found in categorial or
conceptual kind of thinking and literacy.

For example, the black slavery in Brazil - specially in Bahia
(Brazilian's Africa or "black" state - not so "black", brown I'd say)
did not stop or silenciate many african groups of speaking their
original language (ioruba in case) or keeping until now-a-days many
features of their "own culture" in Africa. This was particularlly
relevant through religious practices like candomblé and its sincretism
that mixes catholic and native (indian) pantheon of saints and gods.