A question to Sara

From: genevieve patthey-chavez (ggpcinla@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 00:09:22 PST

Sara, what are your questions? What are you trying
to find out?

I've been mapping out communities of practice and
activity systems in my head for quite some time,
and thus am quite interested in any other such
expeditions. But I need focus. Research questions
often help me find it ...

and on another tangent, so history = progress, eh?

I remember my French lit professor (Susi Kao???)
explaining quite patiently about that one day,
how the march of history was going to take care
of our problems until, ooops, history was suddenly
made fragile by the Atomic bomb. We were discussing
Sartre, the guy who wrote 'La condition humaine,'
others. Another gem from her was her nailing down how
in 'La condition humaine' the Asian was 'la foule',
the crowd, a kind of anonymous backdrop. All the
action was left to Europeans. Europeans were human,
Asians were the crowd.

For me, history is more akin to a chorus of ghosts,
like the one in _Beloved_. And from Paul, I once
got the insight that we spend a lot of time chasing
ghosts, even in California, the land without Memory.

Genevieve