RE: Blasphemy

nate (schmolze who-is-at students.wisc.edu)
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 16:13:34 -0500

My interpretation of the quote was Vygotsky was trying to make the exact
argument you are making. The quote was taken from a chapter on morality and
ethical behavior in which Vygotsky was critiquing the bad boy/girl
stereotype. What the quote means to me is as parents / teachers it is
important to realize that those children we may judge as bad or hyper or
unable to learn are going to be our Einstein's. Vygotsky was critiquing the
attitude of looking at those children as having moral problems. He
argued instead that these were the children who were gifted and would be our
future leaders.

Nate

-----Original Message-----
From: Francoise Herrmann [mailto:fherrmann@igc.apc.org]
Sent: Monday, August 03, 1998 11:35 AM
To: xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu
Subject: Blasphemy

hi all, I would like to commit "blaspemy" by suggesting that the
"good, bad little boy" quote, (as is, out of context) smacks of
romanticism. Who determines that a little girl or boy "is good or
bad"? Can a little girl or boy "be good or bad"? I am not so sure
that this quote quite adresses these issues, while certainly
feeding the "Dennis the Mennice" or "Angelina Ballerina"
stereotypes. I am sure there is far more to it, but "as is" sounds
really off to me.

Francoise Francoise Herrmann fherrmann who-is-at igc.apc.org
http://www.wenet.net/~herrmann

--JAA04757.902161004/igc7.igc.org--