[Xmca-l] Some more feelgood but illuminating videos

Bronwyn Parkin bronwynparkin18@gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 01:36:01 PDT 2021

Thank you for the transcript David. It’s the ‘semanticised perception’ that I find fascinating: the tricky bits in the skiing process that have to be brought to consciousness and vocalised because they’re not solidly internalised yet. It’s probably pedantic but I’m not so convinced that the two utterances with missing subjects h) and i) are issues of memory. Self-talk doesn’t require her to vocalise the subject: maybe the ‘I’m’ is ellipsed because it’s unnecessary.

A group of colleagues, who call ourselves the ‘Vygotsky Nerds’ collect Youtube clips of young children’s talk, particularly in the early stages of development where they are clearly imitating. We need to do this in the world of Western education where any notion of ‘imitation’ is regarded as mindless and dangerous parroting or regurgitating, and because somehow many teachers we work with don’t understand learning as cultural. Here are a couple:

Here's a lovely example of prosody leading articulation:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IaNR8YGdow__;!!Mih3wA!SikT6_qdkZeCdyPQZP80z7-wbiP-40cr2mpuI7sw6w53lep1_FtjtsbG_e_5vAmN3jKGCw$

I love this example of activity apprenticeship:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-fNzwo1iMA__;!!Mih3wA!SikT6_qdkZeCdyPQZP80z7-wbiP-40cr2mpuI7sw6w53lep1_FtjtsbG_e_5vAmdA4_e6w$