[Xmca-l] Re: Language, thought, and Action in the Three Year Old

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 22:47:56 PDT 2021

Here's the language I got from the clip.

(Do you like going slow or fast?)
a) “Fast”
b) “Bye, Daddy!”
c) “Bye”
d) “I’m making my lines.” (While making tracks in the snow.)
e) “I love going around that root.”
f) “Oh!”
g) “Ice.”
h) “Going over you, Ice.”
i) “Going around you, Ice.”
j) “Hi, One-eyed Monster.”
k) (hmmming) “Ha!” “yo, yo, yo---Hi yi yi yi yi”
(Do you wanna go do hoops?)
l) “yeah”
(sidestepping)
m) “Like the boys”
(Are you okay?)
n) “yeah”
(What?)
o) “I’m okay.”
(Yeah, I know you’re okay.)

Vygotsky mostly talks about negation at three, but there are no negatives
in this data. But Vygotsky also talks about semanticized perception, which
we do see a lot of (d, e, g, h, i, j). As Mike says there are a lot of
other developments which are more characteristic of speech development in
the next zone of development (early childhood, where speech is the central
neoformation). Halliday would note three:

Phonologically--a strong preference for very closed vowels (/i/) and very
open consonants (/h/ and /j/). So the idea of articulation as
differentiated into vowels and consonants is not there yet, although the
mastery of prosody (intonation and stress) is quite perfect. Score one for
Halliday's theory that prosody leads articulation and ot the other way
around.

Grammatically, you can see that there are no indicative-declarative
sentences that do not have the child herself as subject (d, e, and o).
There are also two instances of declaratives which have a second person
complement but no first person subject (h, i). The language in her
environment is probably the other way around--most sentences are
indicative-declaratives without first person subjects. That is true of all
the language directed to the child in this clip and it's true of language
quite generally. Score one for Halliday's assertion that memory does not
allow children to repeat verbatim what they hear and forces non-volitional
creativity in every turn.

Semantically, you can see that almost all the utterances are emotionally
motivated. Only o), is an indicative-declarative which communicates unknown
information. Halliday says that zone of proximal development in children of
this age is mastering the idea that language can be used to tell people
things they didn't actually know. You can see how the dialogue
surrounding "I"m okay" might make this function late emerging--the poor
flustered parent asks if the child is okay TWICE and then tells her that he
knows the answer anyway! We learn about communication in spite and not
because of our parents....

(That was pretty much how I skied when I was three years old, except we
didn't have fancy gear or crash helmets, and we had to learn to use a rope
tow....)

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University
,

New Article with Song Seon-mi in Early Years:

Un-naming names: Using Vygotsky’s language games and Halliday’s grammar to
study how children learn how names are made and unmade

Some free e-prints available at:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/2C9HCKGJEYNVEKUGHYKV/full?target=10.1080*09575146.2020.1853682__;Lw!!Mih3wA!U9THGY4CwdbvkdiB8ONgh_ZytKqgdPVdNOwTupe39d1iSQfdhUwhoTRuPebu6FCzkf6pKQ$

New book forthcoming in 2021:

L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological Works, Vol. II: The Problem of Age.
Translated with Prefatory Notes and Outlines by Nikolai Veresov and David
Kellogg