[Xmca-l] Re: A contribution of value, I hope

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 17:35:14 PDT 2020

It's great, Anthony--better than the original by half!

N.B. "Meta-function" is a function-of-functions. So there is only ONE
textual metafunction which INCLUDES functions like Theme (and subfunctions
like "Topical Theme"). Thre is only ONE interpersonal metafunction, which
INCLUDES functions like Mood (and subfunctions like Subject and Finite).
There is only ONE ideational metafunction which INCLUDES functions like
Participant (and subfunctions like Determiner, Epithet, Classifier, and
Thing).

I think you did the right thing in cutting to the classroom chase. But the
link between Halliday and Vygotsky is sometimes made in pretty Polly-anna
terms (hey, they both think social interaction is good for you). Halliday
doesn't really have any use for the concept of "mind" (although he does use
the concept of consciousness). Vygotsky doesn't really use the concept of
metafunction (although he does distinguish between functions). To a lot of
people, that suggests mutual repulsion; to me it suggests mutual dependency
or at least very strong magnetism that Halliday would call
"complementarity"..

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!QT8_RKuDxPBOPJ-QtyBofAJ4F7MYVLHeIIc4G8WzvkhAAL-lxLqWvlX_y6qIoKuLSFtKYQ$
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!QT8_RKuDxPBOPJ-QtyBofAJ4F7MYVLHeIIc4G8WzvkhAAL-lxLqWvlX_y6qIoKvalO6XMg$