[Xmca-l] Re: A contribution of value, I hope

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Wed Jun 17 14:38:12 PDT 2020

Anthony and David-

I am a great admirer of Burke's..... and of the parlor metaphor.  But I did
not take away all the features you did. Must be I have a different
terministic screen. (see below).  I am not sure why, maybe from memories of
parties that go late into the night where there is an all night political
argument about the possibility of social democracy, or whether the US blew
a chance for real detente with Russia in 1991, or whether
the, if Lenin had lived, the USSR would have taken another path (a hot,
never ceasing topic when we lived in the dorms at MoscowU,
or, maybe how to use the current crisis to make structural change in the
US. Anyway, for me it works as a metaphor for the discourses of
modern social life.

About terministic determinism.  I went of google to check the term and
found the brief summary below of the idea fpn wikipedia.  It struck me as a
very
similar to lsv's idea of the semantic structure of consciousness. And
relevant to many of our discussions.
mike

>From Wikipedia
Another key concept for Burke is the Terministic screen
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terministic_screens__;!!Mih3wA!W7tmJHlMLhZZaJSeTL-4zyxZoi5rH3fCW766WTglTGqxjpIszXCo9FZaKl1vI7C8Bs8vvQ$ >—a *set* of symbols that
becomes a kind of *screen* or grid of intelligibility through which the
world makes sense to us. Here Burke offers rhetorical theorists and critics
a way of understanding the relationship between language and ideology.
Language, Burke thought, doesn't simply "reflect" reality; it also helps
*select* reality as well as *deflect* reality. In *Language as Symbolic
Action* (1966), he writes, "Even if any given terminology is a *reflection* of
reality, by its very nature as a terminology it must be a *selection* of
reality; and to this extent must function also as a *deflection* of reality.
[22] <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Burke*cite_note-22__;Iw!!Mih3wA!W7tmJHlMLhZZaJSeTL-4zyxZoi5rH3fCW766WTglTGqxjpIszXCo9FZaKl1vI7AET9sapw$ > Burke
describes terministic screens as reflections of reality—we see these
symbols as things that direct our attention to the topic at hand. For
example, photos of the same object with different filters each direct the
viewer's attention differently, much like how different subjects in
academia grab the attention differently. Burke states, "We must use
terministic screens, since we can't say anything without the use of terms;
whatever terms we use, they necessarily constitute a corresponding kind of
screen; and any such screen necessarily directs the attention to one field
rather than another." Burke drew not only from the works of Shakespeare and
Sophocles, but from films and radio that were important to pop culture,
because they were teeming with "symbolic and rhetorical ingredients." We as
a people can be cued to accept the screen put in front of us, and mass
culture such as TV and websites can be to blame for this. Media today has
altered terministic screens, or as Richard Toye
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Toye__;!!Mih3wA!W7tmJHlMLhZZaJSeTL-4zyxZoi5rH3fCW766WTglTGqxjpIszXCo9FZaKl1vI7A6dMJSkA$ > wrote in his book *Rhetoric: A
Very Short Introduction*, the "linguistic filters which cause us to see
situations in particular fashions."

--

Crush human humanity out of shape once more, under similar hammers, and it
will twist itself into the same tortured forms. Sow the same seed of