[Xmca-l] Re: Your views on a question.

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 05:24:07 PDT 2020

Dear Harshad:

I am still a little stunned by the last post you wrote, with all the
references to predatory shopkeepers. It sounded like the stuff of a pogrom.
As we discussed in the "My Hometown Minneapolis" thread, the threats to
shopkeepers in Minneapolis often targeted South Asians, and had nothing to
do with the police (except that the police may have been involved and
certainly profitted from the looting politically).

"Apartheid" is a term invented by the South African sociologist Verwoerd,
who studied with the Gestalists. Some Gestaltists, like Narziss Ach and
Felix Krueger, became Nazis; Verwoerd himself became, as you probably know,
prime minister of South Africa and brought in the system of apartheid which
Gandhi struggled against during his early years. The term used in my
hometown Minneapolis is not "apartheid" but segregation: it is
euphemistically referred to as "redlining" (by insurance companies) and
"racial covenants" but not as "apartheid".

Segregation and Jim Crow in Minneapolis is not based on pigmentation. Many
"white" people are darker than blacks, and many black people are lighter
than whites, because of the centuries of rape and the enthusiasm of slave
owners for the practice of selling their own children. The last time I
visited the "housing project"near where I grew up it was full of Hmong from
Southeast Asia. Segregation in Minneapolis is above all a matter of class.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article: Ruqaiya Hasan, in memoriam: A manual and a manifesto.
Outlines, Spring 2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tidsskrift.dk/outlines/article/view/116238__;!!Mih3wA!Q_T1T-yScWKk-O8fAQy2MGeFpRYlWFTJaOfWiNV6OlC8kQDKN2JeAffKU6p3X_X_g6SDzw$
New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: *L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological
Works* *Volume
One: Foundations of Pedology*"
 https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!Q_T1T-yScWKk-O8fAQy2MGeFpRYlWFTJaOfWiNV6OlC8kQDKN2JeAffKU6p3X_VyIA0yng$