[Xmca-l] Re: Mike Cole video interviews to be uploaded into XMCA discussion

Edward Wall ewall@umich.edu
Mon Feb 17 13:58:35 PST 2020

Andy

    All the people I have ever worked with in math ed very much try to generate ‘good’ ‘crisis’ in both the math ed  and math classroom although perhaps not necessarily what Vygotsky had in mind. On the other hand, US school culture (and one might argue more broadly) is generally opposed to any sort of ‘crisis.' There is a sense in which we are uncomfortable with contradictions and try to ‘fix’ them. I have always wondered, by the way, if that is a human trait.

Ed
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.