[Xmca-l] Re: "this remarkable list" (Gabosch, 2002)

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 15:40:59 PDT 2020

Anthony--

As far as I know, it's never been translated. But you can find it in
Russian at the Electronic Library of Moscow State University--right here:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://psychlib.ru/mgppu/VUR/VUR-0331.htm*$p33__;Iw!!Mih3wA!Rs_L1xTA4cK7ZLj1xktMYU2QoDLfV1QvnStvCyYqfiG4i8MJ26pTlc9y9e8EH9WCcJfqmQ$

If your Russian is anything like mine (i.e. limited to a very narrow
register) you'll need a translation to make sense of it. But you'll find
that if you right click on the text, it will bring to bear the power of
Google Translate. Since Google Translate operates with established
translations of Vygotsky, and since Vygotsky does tend to repeat his
formulations when he's got one that he likes, you will find that the result
is quite usable.

(Of course you know that I didn't mean to imply that you only took away the
framing anecdote, Anthony; I was just trying to think of a hypothetical
example that didn't involve the theatre--theatrics are not always a bad
thing when you are in a theatre. However, I really DID mean what I said
about the pleasure of teaching-learning for the TEACHER: it IS
underemphasized and it DOES explain a lot about how ideas do manage to
outlive the bodies that have them. I guess we tend to explain this pleasure
by talking about how much we ourselves have learned from the experience of
teaching, and I suppose that does SOUND humble and modest, although when
you think about it what I am really saying when I say that is that I am
still the best teacher I have ever met. For me, the humility is keener and
borders on humiliation--I learn the hard way how much I have to learn about
cultivating an on-line teaching persona, modulating my intonation, not
stroking my beard all the time and sticking to the point rather better than
I am wont to do in class. If my students can survive all that, maybe the
ideas will too....)

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New article in Mind, Culture, and Activity:
Realizations: non-causal but real relationships in and between Halliday,
Hasan, and Vygotsky

Some free e-prints today available at:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/Y8YHS3SRW42VXPTVY2Z6/full?target=10.1080*10749039.2020.1806329__;Lw!!Mih3wA!Rs_L1xTA4cK7ZLj1xktMYU2QoDLfV1QvnStvCyYqfiG4i8MJ26pTlc9y9e8EH9WXV3cPhQ$

New Translation with Nikolai Veresov: L.S. Vygotsky's Pedological Works
Volume One: Foundations of Pedology"
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789811505270__;!!Mih3wA!Rs_L1xTA4cK7ZLj1xktMYU2QoDLfV1QvnStvCyYqfiG4i8MJ26pTlc9y9e8EH9UWNSuBKw$