[Xmca-l] Re: Translation or Paraphrase?

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Wed Jun 12 19:22:09 PDT 2019

You are dead right that Minick's omission of the phrase at
the end of the paragraph, referring to the point at which
thinking in concepts begins to appear, is a material
omission and should be corrected. And yes, it is only
conditionally and indirectly a biological basis.

This links up interestingly with an issue which Jen
Vadeboncoeur has been wrestling with: should we say "in the
epoch of sexual maturation," or "after puberty" or "in
adolescence" or "as youths" or "as teenagers"? We discussed
once before what happens in pathological social situations
(recruitment as a child soldier, the death or disability of
both parents, revolutionary upheavals) when young people are
thrown into the affairs of the adult world when they have
not yet reached the point in their biological development
when the social formation would normally expect them to
begin to grasp conceptual thinking and operate in the wider
world outside of the protection of the family?

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm