[Xmca-l] History of Explicit and Implicit Knowledge

Greg Mcverry jgregmcverry@gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 17:47:29 PDT 2019

Hello all,

I am carrying on my quest to rethink cognitive apprenticeships into
agentive apprenticeships for my work around innovation systems:
https://quickthoughts.jgregorymcverry.com/2019/03/07/my-fork-of-synea-into-a-saint

Agentive apprenticeships defer more in centering the agency and choice in
the learner in a network of shared interest where the space and tools teach
much as any person.

You may recall I originally asked for ideas around knowledge brokering as
it did not sit well with me. I decided to go with Knowledge Knitting as my
metaphor. It is used frequently in the OER Community and amongst under
represented scholars and if I can get the pictures out of my head and into
words it will make sense.

But I am trying to chase down when the distinction between explicit and
implicit knowledge began. It weaves through all apprenticeship research up
through and including Gee's work on Affinity Spaces.

I am more trained in the cognitive narrative that dominates reading
instruction today of declarative, procedural, and conditional knowledge.

Two questions:
-When did the distinction between implicit and explicit knowledge begin?
-Are you aware of works that describe knowing in both implicit and explicit
and in declarative, procedural, and conditional knowledge.

Greg

--
J. Gregory McVerry, PhD
Assistant Professor