[Xmca-l] Re: Translation or Paraphrase?

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 17:00:36 PDT 2019

Andy--

Prout is a little bit too literal for my own taste too. But as I said, I am
a sloppy translator, and I need people like Nikolai to get it right. This
is how I would translate the passage. Notice that it DOES have material
that differs from the Minick translation and which is present but lost in
details in the Vygotsky Reader translation.

"However, this mode of bringing together different concrete objects
into general groupings, the character of the links established within
it, the structure emerging on the basis of such thinking and characterized
by relationships of each separate object as part of the group to the group
as a whole--all of this profoundly differs in type and in mode of activity
to the thinking in concepts that develops in the epoch of sexual
maturation."

I admit that the Minick translation fits better on a PPT slide. But the
Vygotsky original is not designed for bullet points: it is designed to
highlight THREE characteristics (not two as in the Minick): the method of
grouping, the character of links, and the structure as a whole, with
emphasis placed on the last through an elaboration which links it to the
previous two.

But the real problem with the paraphrase is what is left entirely out of
Minick and collapsed to the single, biologizing word 'puberty' in the
Vygotsky Reader: the words "in the epoch of sexual maturation". This
passage is part of a chapter-long argument between Vygotsky and the Buhlers
in Vienna. The Buhlers haver argued that there are no new elementary
functions emerging in adolescence (Freud casts a certain shadow here, since
for all the Viennese sexuality is not a new formation in adolescence at
all). There is no second sight, no second smell, no second hearing, or
taste, or touch, no second thinking arising out of the top-knot of the
child like a second head from the skull of the Buddha. So the wherewithal
of concept formation is present and accounted for in a three year old. Why
don't concepts emerge in three-year-olds? Well, in Vienna, the answer is
simple--they do. The difference between a three-year-old and a
thirteen-year-old is emotion and not intellect; the difference between
complexes of objects and abstract concepts is quantitative and not
qualitative.

I think your own work (the Critical Approach to Concepts) handles this
problem beautifully--it is the novel social projects that adolescents get
involved in (including social projects that include others who are now of
sexual interest) that really account for the novel mode of bringing
together, the novel character of the links, and the novel structure of the
whole that emerges from these. Vygotsky is trying to provide, as always, a
pedological scheme in which that approach to concept formation can make
sense--he's giving us the inner pedology, complete with now-unpopular
periodization, of the process you have described as a novel social project.
The unpopularity of the periodization scheme in our present intellectual
climate is, however, no deterrent; on the contrary, for me it very much
adds to the attractiveness of the argument.

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

New Article:
Han Hee Jeung & David Kellogg (2019): A story without SELF: Vygotsky’s
pedology, Bruner’s constructivism and Halliday’s construalism in
understanding narratives by
Korean children, Language and Education, DOI: 10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663
To link to this article: https://doi.org/10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663

Some e-prints available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/KHRxrQ4n45t9N2ZHZhQK/full?target=10.1080/09500782.2019.1582663