[Xmca-l] Tichaona Pesanayi in memoriam - to the memory of a wonderful scholar, true friend and fighter for justice

Engeström, Yrjö H M yrjo.engestrom@helsinki.fi
Tue Apr 23 09:01:24 PDT 2019

Dr. Tichaona Pesanayi (born in 1965), a great African environmental and sustainability educator, an exceptional researcher, a colleague who transformed people’s lives and activities, died a few days ago as a victim of an aggressive illness. We write this with tears in our eyes.

We have vivid images and memories of Tich in Finland, in South Africa, and in international conferences we attended together. We remember and feel the presence of his penetrating intellect and uncompromising commitment, his generous friendship and deep humanity. This is a tremendous loss to our global activity-theoretical community, and above all to the pioneering group of scholars and practitioners led by Heila Lotz-Sisitka at Rhodes University.

To appreciate Tich’s work, we attach a paper he recently co-authored with Heila and other colleagues. You get a vivd glimpse into his creative and powerful use of activity theory and Change Laboratory interventions by watching the video that can be found in this link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeL-kwRKjlA

We will never forget Tich. His work will move on and change the world as a living thread of the continuing collective efforts of his colleagues and friends.

Yrjö Engeström and Annalisa Sannino