[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Re: What is science?: Where to start doctoral students?

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Fri Nov 2 20:17:28 PDT 2018

I think it would be more true to say that in Marx's day
"Ontology" was only used in the non-countable form; the
countable (i.e. plural) form of "Ontology" is a product I
think of the second half of the 20th Century. Martin? can
you pinpoint it? I think that Marx agreed with Hegel's
reduction of Ontology to Logic, though he also had
differences over Hegel's formulation of it - the famous
"Method of Political Economy" passage which CHAT people like
to quote, explains it. Hegel's "Ontology" (/Die Lehre vom
Sein/) is usually translated into English as "The Doctrine
of Being." Hegel's reduction of Ontology to Logic is
explained in the Preface to the /Phenomenology/, already
mentioned, and implemented in the first book of the Logic.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/ablunden/index.htm