[Xmca-l] Re: Cultural historical

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 19:52:44 PDT 2018

Andy has a knack for winkling brilliant insights out of early Vygotsky: he
remarks somewhere that "Ape, Primitive, Child: Studies in the History of
Behavior," a book which I really didn't care much for, taught him that
whenever we decide on some essential distinction between human and
non-human behavior, we necessarily find rudiments of it in non-human
behavior. To which I would only add that the circumstance that the
rudiments of human behavior are linked  to non-human behavior doesn't make
them indistinguishable. On the contrary, it is really only because human
behaviors are distinct that we can speak of them being linked (we don't
talk of air-breathing in humans as being linked to air-breathing in apes,
because the process is really one and the same; we do speak of language in
humans as being linked to ape vocalizations precisely because they are
distinct processes). If this is true of anthropogenetic phenomena like free
will, language and literacy, it's also true of their  symptomatic
epiphenomena, such as migration, culture, and literature. I don't agree
with Andy that the lowering of the vocal tract was phenomenal to language;
it was only an epiphenomenal circumstance which made the majority of humans
choose the vocal channel for language while an important minority choose
the visual channel, to which the majority again reverted once alphabets and
literacy were invented (again, an exercise of some rudimentary form of free
will).

Compare migration along a seacoast with migration into a mountainous
region. One requires no major change in productive relations, while the
other probably does. Similar with migration along an East-West axis. This
requires relatively little free will, as the climate does not change and
many of the plants and animals which provide food are probably the same. In
contrast, migration along a North-South axis, which involves climate change
and corresponding adaptations, would require relatively more communal
discussion, the process Andy calls collaborative decision making. I think
that wandering out of Africa involved, on the one hand, migration along the
Nile and coastlines and, on the other, migration out of a mountainous
region (the Rift Valley is pretty mountainous). But it also involved
migration along a North-South axis and not an East-West one. Of course,
staying put in Africa probably also involved collaborative decision making
over millenia, but we don't have any record of the decision as we do with
leaving the home continent

David Kellogg
Sangmyung University

Recent Article in *Early Years*

The question of questions: Hasan’s critiques, Vygotsky’s crises, and the
child’s first interrogatives
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09575146.2018.1431874>

Free e-print available at:
https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/6EeWMigjFARavQjDJjcW/full