[Xmca-l] language and simply communication

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Thu Dec 20 18:52:23 PST 2018

James, interesting that you use the term "simply
communication" to distinguish the natural use of signs in
the animal kingdom from the exclusively human use of
language. I am interested though in getting to what exactly
that difference is, which cannot easily be captured in words
like "communication" versus "language".

I don't think the distinction can be captured in terms of
language structure, either. For example, it may be the case
that only and all human language is recursive, where as
systems of animal calls are not, but this is a purely
*external* differentiation. It is not the *essential*
difference, the "difference which  makes a difference," so
to speak.

Vygotsky gives us the clue when he shows how children
acquire words in the process of learning to "command
themselves," and how as a result, the entire perceptual
field of a human being is structured (as Hegel believed) by
signs, mainly words, not just colour and movement. So the
difference which makes a difference is the *conscious
control* of sign-use, which is gradually acquired in
cultural development (both ontological and phylogenetic).

So even a single-word sentence like "Mine!" can be language,
whereas the 50-odd distinctive calls used by gorillas do
*not* constitute language.

What do you think?

Andy

Andy Blunden