[Xmca-l] Re: language and simply communication

James Ma jamesma320@gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 12:02:34 PST 2018

Andy, formal linguists would use the so-called "design features" of
language to refer to properties marking off human beings from other
creatures on earth. For example, when someone says something to you, you're
free to give an answer in the way you like. Should you choose not to do so,
that is in itself an answer. This is called the "stimulus-free" property in
linguistics, but it doesn't rule out taking into consideration the social
relationship you may have with the interlocutor. However, non-human
creature communication is confined to signalling, inherently different from
human language and still perhaps incomprehensible (or even astonishing) in
many ways. For example, the mother turkey's protective instinct is only
triggered by their baby turkey's "cheep-cheep" sound. When a mother turkey
sees a polecat (their natural predator), she immediately goes into attack
mode, even at the sight of a stuffed polecat. What's more, if you make the
stuffed polecat produce the same "cheep-cheep" sound, the mother turkey
turns out to be a protector of that polecat!

James

*James Ma  Independent Scholar **https://oxford.academia.edu/JamesMa