[Xmca-l] Analytical and Continental

Andy Blunden andyb@marxists.org
Thu Dec 20 18:37:57 PST 2018

James, according to Wikipedia's entry, Hegel is a part of
"continental philosophy," but this is an anachronism really,
because the tribal division is a 20th century phenomenon and
affects mainly university departments in the Anglosphere.
Continental philosophers like to cite Hegel and Marx, but I
don't think we can count these writers as part of
Continental Philosophy. In any case, people interested in
CHAT are going to be outside of that argument.

In the tradition that I identify with Hegel-Marx-Vygotsky we
value natural science in a way which is uncharacteristic of
Continental Philosophy, but also value meta-philosophical
considerations over formal-logical argument in a way which
is uncharacteristic of Analytical Philosophy.

As I think I said in the previous message the people we find
in philosophy departments most sympathetic to CHAT concerns
are the Pragmatists. Dewey was trained as a Hegelian and
James got his scientific education in 19th century Germany,
still affected by German Idealism. Peirce seems to try to
unite the virtues of both currents in his own way, too.
Hegelian Philosophers like Robert Pippin and Charles Taylor
recognise their own affinity with the Pragmatist school, and
recent Pragmatist Philosophers like Richard Rorty and Robert
Putnam accept the disciplines of Analytical Philosophy while
making an effort to appropriate Hegel.

Myself, I have never attended a university course in
Philosophy, any more than I have attended any course in
Psychology, so I cannot be part of either current.
Personally, I remain of the view that it is Hegel and Marx
who provide the meta-concepts needed to develop Vygotsky's
legacy in Psychology and Social Theory, and I don't see a
lot of prospects in either the Analytical or Continental
Philosophical traditions in themselves.

What do you think?

Andy

Andy Blunden