[Xmca-l] Re: thoughts on Mathematics of Mathematics by Wolff-Michael Roth

Edward Wall ewall@umich.edu
Fri Apr 13 17:08:48 PDT 2018

Bill

     The book "The Ethnomethodological Foundations of Mathematics” - an ‘interesting' take on Godel’s First Incompleteness Theorem - is just a nice typeset copy of his dissertation (he may have a few extra things; I think I looked at it once and didn’t see much different but perhaps Michael thinks otherwise) which you can get from ProQuest for about $35 or whatever the going price is now. There are also a few articles which are reasonably available and, as MIchael, mentioned "Ethnographies of Reason.” If you like this sort of things, I would recommend The Ethics of Geometry by Lachterman and perhaps The Origin of the Logic of Symbolic Mathematics which takes on Husserl and Klein. There is, of course, a long list of other people who have interesting takes on some of this.

Ed Wall

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth" - Niels Bohr