[Xmca-l] Re: Отв: Re: Ilyenkov, Marx, & Spinoza

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 16:59:36 PDT 2017

Right, Ivan. For Halliday, the difference is "instantiation"--instances of
matter and instances of meaning. The point is that there aren't two
different phenomena, one infinite and another finite. They are just two
different ways of looking at the same thing, like climate and weather, or
language and text, or culture and situation. A table is an "instance" of
meaning en-mattered (to mint a meaning), and an idea is an "instance" of
matter en-meaninged.

I don't actually think that either matter or meaning is infinite in exactly
the sense that Spinoza had in mind: for my purposes, it is enough to think
of a culture as the sum total of all the historical situations, and its
language as the sum total of all of its produced texts. When I have to
think about the universe, I just think of it as the sum total of all the
actually existing matter and all the existing meaning. For now. But to tell
the truth, I think about the universe even less than it thinks about me: I
am afraid I feel more akin to Spinoza the lens grinder than to Spinoza the
philosopher.

Mike--thanks for the stuff on pedology. I remember the text--I remember
discussing it with you, and how personally affronted you felt by it,
actually--but the Genevans (Bernard Schneuwly, Jean-Paul Bronckart, Irina
Leopoldoff-Martin) are trying to establish pedology as a "once and future
discipline", and this is a project I feel very much part of these days. So
I am starting to feel as you do about it.

Right now I am writing about questions--how they are formed, how they are
used, and how we turn them back on themselves--e.g. what I just did. One of
the real problems with Vygotsky's model of concept formation is what
Ruqaiya Hasan called its overly experiential focus (the focus on
representations). It seems to me that if we think about the adolescent
forming a world view in interpersonal terms (that is, inevitably including
affect and social power as well as representations of events and entities),
we find that "question" is sometimes more useful than "concept".

dk

--
David Kellogg
Macquarie University

"The Great Globe and All Who It Inherit:
Narrative and Dialogue in Story-telling with
Vygotsky, Halliday, and Shakespeare"

Free Chapters Downloadable at:

https://www.sensepublishers.com/media/2096-the-great-globe-and-all-who-it-inherit.pdf

Recent Article: Thinking of feeling: Hasan, Vygotsky, and Some Ruminations
on the Development of Narrative in Korean Children

Free E-print Downloadable at:

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/8Vaq4HpJMi55DzsAyFCf/full