[Xmca-l] Re: Отв: Re: Ilyenkov, Marx, & Spinoza

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Thu Jul 27 17:29:21 PDT 2017

David-

Your wrote, in part.

Mike--thanks for the stuff on pedology. I remember the text--I remember
discussing it with you, and how personally affronted you felt by it,
actually--but the Genevans (Bernard Schneuwly, Jean-Paul Bronckart, Irina
Leopoldoff-Martin) are trying to establish pedology as a "once and future
discipline", and this is a project I feel very much part of these days. So
I am starting to feel as you do about it.

Very interesting to be pointed back to the prior discussion. I had
forgotten it.
Re-reading it, it seems I was not distressed by the intro essay, which I
did not focus on,
but by Leontiev's writing, which Clay Spinuzzi asked about.

I locked in on that quotation because it identified where LSV stood with
the powers that
were and a view of pedology that is where Leontiev stood at the time.
Notice that Luria
is not included in the book.

His book on the role of speech in the development of normal and abnormal
behavior, which is on the lchc web site, grew out of talks given in London
in the late 1950's where he was using second signal language as a mode of
survival ( i believe). The internal tensions within the group associated
with LSV must have been horrendous. Brrrrr.

Good luck on the project to re-cover pedology. It needs recovering!