[Xmca-l] REQUEST FOR WAYS ACADEMIC SCHOLARS ACROSS DISCIPLINES CAN ENGAGE AND CREATE COMMUNITIES OF DESTINY

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 08:31:01 PST 2017

Mike, you have asked for concrete examples of scholars finding routes or courses to engage with passion in creating communities that can offer sustained responses of hope to the rise of Trump.

I want to introduce Ana Heras from Buenos Aires Argentina who has been participating/performing in developing what she calls ‘communities of destiny’ through explicit focus on creating spaces of ‘refuge’. Of central concern is the formation of a ‘public’ school that is democratically instituted.

Ana’s work, play, and performance is a unique blend of [perezhivanie] exemplary of first ‘living through’ experiences [as mediated] AND THEN ‘working and playing and performing through’ what was previously ‘lived through’. [as mediated]
I asked Ana if it was ok to share her ways of creating [spaces of refuge] through [communities of destiny].

There is profound overlap with her work that rises to the concrete and with XMCA ways of proceeding.

ANA is involved in forming and sustaining a publicly funded school in the heart of Buenos Aires that is key to forming and sustaining spaces of refuge.
What I believe is particularly relevant is the notion of [becoming] within the ways the communities of destiny use ‘memory’ and multiple theories and methods intentionally as a living phenomena of moving back and forth creating MUTUALLY democratic spaces of refuge. Places from which community members can anticipate launching into the *open see* of unknowing, uncertainty, and this being a launch into vitality from spaces of refuge.

Ana uses different theoretical traditions. However the formations that develop within her traditions  overlap profoundly with cultural-historical traditions such as performances of ‘third spaces’.
 I believe the institutional formation of a democratic school in Buenos Aires being a concrete example that is ongoing and is a community of destiny engaging with memory is a living example of what is possible.
Ana’s work  has a lot to offer as a pragmatic expression of both living through AND working through using powerful and expansive methods of acknowledgement that may present vital alternatives that answer Mike’s call for rising to the concrete.

I have other articles of Ana’s if this thread resonates?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10