[Xmca-l] Re: The Science of Qualitative Research 2ed

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Wed Dec 20 17:43:13 PST 2017

Interesting, Ed. It was while teaching that course that I realized what a hot potato teaching research methods can be. After all, in a graduate program one is teaching the current and future research assistants and associates of one’s faculty colleagues.

As I recall we taught the course once and then my co-instructor (I won’t name names) received funding that relieved her from teaching for a year or two. That first year we alternated ‘blocks’ of empirical-analytic and interpretive approaches, seven blocks in all, each a few weeks in length. We tried to involve the students in a dialog between the approaches, emphasizing their similarities as well as their differences. It sounds as though subsequently the two approaches became divided into separate semesters.

Martin