[Xmca-l] Re: The Science of Qualitative Research 2ed

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 16:29:13 PST 2017

It is interesting (and important) that a lot of time-honored
misunderstandings we reject rather dogmatically at first turn out to be
based on inconvenient truths that never quite disappear. Dualism, for
example, is really based on the inconvenient truth that a weightless
thought will move a weighty limb. We must, if we are honest enough to admit
that our initial rejection of the law of conservation (of mass, of
energy) was as dogmatic as the Cartesian acceptance of it, end up with
something like a law of conversation (of matter, of meaning) instead. I
think that my rejection of the distinction between quantitative and
qualitative research was also initially based on dogmatism, and in
retrospect my colleagues were right to resent it.

For example, in linguistics, studies which are more interested in the
"language system" end of the cline of instantiation (that is, the continuum
that links the language as a whole with an individual instance of text,
running through text types, registers, and register types) tend inevitably
to the quantitative while those that are more interested in individual
texts have to be more qualitative. The law of conversation, however,
requires that you see the choices made in an individual instance of text
against the backdrop of the choices afforded by the language system as a
whole which were not made. Conversely that the language system as a whole
really boils down, in the end, to the sum of all the textual ever made or
makeable by a speech community as instances of text.

Every text is an irregularity made possible by quantitative regularities,
which in turn gives rise to a qualitative regularity of its own. But in
giving rise to that qualitative regularity, it gives an imperceptible nudge
to the quantitative regularities, both renewing and altering them.

David Kellogg

Recent Article in *Mind, Culture, and Activity* 24 (4) 'Metaphoric,
Metonymic, Eclectic, or Dialectic? A Commentary on “Neoformation: A
Dialectical Approach to Developmental Change”'

Free e-print available (for a short time only) at

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/YAWPBtmPM8knMCNg6sS6/full