[Xmca-l] Re: The Science of Qualitative Research 2ed

Edward Wall ewall@umich.edu
Wed Dec 20 16:59:33 PST 2017

       I, for various and sundry reasons, became interested in the very thought of teaching mathematics and came to UM a few years after Martin had left. Talking with some of those who probably were among Martin’s students and some of his teaching colleagues, I was left with the impression that ‘research methods’ happened in a very different atmosphere than what I then felt around me. I took this two semester course Martin speaks about. I almost left UM after the first quantitative semester (I have a very, very strong theoretical background in probability and statistics) as I couldn’t figure out why somebody would engage in such things and, although the second qualitative semester made a little more sense (and there actually was one interesting use of mathematics), I began seriously wondering why I was there. It took a former colleague of Martin’s to first introduce me to Vygotsky and later to Gadamer (who sort of introduced me to Heidegger) before I thought there might be something interesting to think about as regards the teaching of mathematics. However, they and I were definitely in a small minority.

      So, Martin thank you for that course. Although I never was exposed to it, I was exposed to several who were influenced by it and was exposed to teaching colleagues of yours who shared some of your thinking at that time.

Ed