[Xmca-l] Re: Neoformation and developmental change: Issue 4 article for discussion

Wolff-Michael Roth wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 05:24:19 PST 2017

Hi Andy, I don't know what you are trying to tell me--may be other words or
expression would do. But already Ogden and Richards (1922) listed over 20
different uses of the term; and the *Handbook of Semiotics* (Nöth, 1990)
states: "The meaning of meaning is a semiotic labyrinth both on theoretical
and on terminological grounds" (p.92).
If there are so many different uses, then we are finding ourselves in the
Tower of Babel even when we are all speaking English, let alone all the
other languages. In our field specifically, the Marx we are getting to read
is not at all the Marx that Russians and Germans read (those language
versions seem to be matching each other quite well). I h
Michael

Wolff-Michael Roth, Lansdowne Professor

Applied Cognitive Science
MacLaurin Building A567
University of Victoria
Victoria, BC, V8P 5C2
http://web.uvic.ca/~mroth <http://education2.uvic.ca/faculty/mroth/>

New book: *The Mathematics of Mathematics
<https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/new-directions-in-mathematics-and-science-education/the-mathematics-of-mathematics/>*