[Xmca-l] Re: Neoformation and developmental change: Issue 4 article for discussion

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Wed Dec 13 02:05:59 PST 2017

Just a reminder that the article for discussion on neoformation is now open access at the MCA T&F pages.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10749039.2016.1179327

There recently were questions in this list concerning adult development. There was then no mention to this article, which I think was already published, but it turns out that it discusses a developmental turn-over in the professional and everyday life of an adult teacher, using and discussing the concept of neoformation and the associated law of transition of quantity into quality. Vygotsky introduced the concept in writings about child development, and so I assume there may be issues or challenges specific to the extension of these notions beyond child development. I wonder what others in this list and outside it think, how and whether those interested in adult development find the contributions present in the article relevant/appealing/problematic...

Alfredo
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Alfredo Jornet Gil <a.j.gil@iped.uio.no>
Sent: 07 December 2017 19:33
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Neoformation and developmental change: Issue 4 article for    discussion

Steemed xmca'ers,

the year is close to its end and we have yet to discuss a selected article from Issue 4. The choice this time is an article written by Wolff-Michael Roth: "Neoformation: A Dialectical Approach to Developmental Change?".

The article, which is attached and will be made open access for a brief time soon, brings up the concept of "neoformation", a Vygotskian notion that has appeared more than once in xmca but which is not so common in the literature, despite having quite a methodological import in Vygotsky's writings.

I believe the topic is timely given parallel discussions and critiques to Vygotsky in xmca and in recent literature. Moreover, the article brings with it a companion, David's Kellogg commentary (which is open access right now), and a response by Michael. So its a 3 for 1 treat!

The whole issue is published here:

http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/hmca20/current?nav=tocList

Michael has kindly agreed to join the conversation in the coming days, and I encourage you all to have a look at the paper and not to be shy bringing in comments and questions. I think this is a unique opportunity we have for digging into the different ways in which Vygotsky's legacy may live on in current and future CHAT and CHAT-related research/literature.

Alfredo