[Xmca-l] Re: Neoformation and developmental change: Issue 4 article for discussion

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 03:08:26 PST 2017

Alfredo:

Actually, I think there are three threads we can twist together.

a) Do adults develop? This is one of the major issues that divided Vygotsky
from the "psycho-technicians" of his time (e.g. Isaac Spielrein). Vygotsky
was consistent: the child is not a short adult, and the adult is not a
senile child, so child development cannot be seen as a kind of dress
rehearsal for adult development, nor can adult development be seen as
continuing child development by other means: there is a qualitative
difference between the adolescent and the young adult that does not exist
even between the schoolchild and the adolescent.

b) Did Vygotsky ever rise to the concrete? Should he even have tried? This
is one of the issues that divides Sasha from Wolff-Michael, and also
divides Wolff-Michael from me. Sasha believes that without rising to the
concrete, we cannot speak of the Marxist method at all. To me that
necessarily means making the concept of neoformation more specific and more
age-dependent--but Wolff-Michael wants to make it much more general and
consequently abstract.

c)  What is "perezhivanie" (as a technical term) and what would it mean for
it to change "dialectically"? Wolff-Michael has set a cat amongst the
pigeons by defining consciousness itself as "perizhivanie of
perizhivanie".  On the one hand, this seems to suggest that consciousness
is an afterthought, and that children cannot have any consciousness at all;
it also seems (to me) to imply that consciousness is essentially
individual, the product of reflection upon reflections (and there is a
similar argument being made, rather sloppily, by Michael Luntley in the
current Educational Philosophical and Theory...

Luntley, M. (2017) Forgetski Vygotsky, Educational Philosophy and Theory,
49:10, 957-970, DOI: 10.1080/00131857.2016.1248341

And yet there are two things about Wolff-Michael's formula that do appeal
to me:

1. The idea that dialectical development is essentially differentiation and
not replacement of one form by another. If consciousness is essentially
perizhivanie turned back on itself (like language turned back on itself) it
is easy to see how we develop--by unraveling it.

2. The idea that consciousness is the "meaning of meaning". Of course,
that's not exactly what he said, but it is what I get when I turn it back
on itself....

David Kellogg

Recent Article in *Mind, Culture, and Activity* 24 (4) 'Metaphoric,
Metonymic, Eclectic, or Dialectic? A Commentary on “Neoformation: A
Dialectical Approach to Developmental Change”'

Free e-print available (for a short time only) at

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/YAWPBtmPM8knMCNg6sS6/full