[Xmca-l] Neoformation and developmental change: Issue 4 article for discussion

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Thu Dec 7 10:33:33 PST 2017

Steemed xmca'ers,

the year is close to its end and we have yet to discuss a selected article from Issue 4. The choice this time is an article written by Wolff-Michael Roth: "Neoformation: A Dialectical Approach to Developmental Change?".

The article, which is attached and will be made open access for a brief time soon, brings up the concept of "neoformation", a Vygotskian notion that has appeared more than once in xmca but which is not so common in the literature, despite having quite a methodological import in Vygotsky's writings.

I believe the topic is timely given parallel discussions and critiques to Vygotsky in xmca and in recent literature. Moreover, the article brings with it a companion, David's Kellogg commentary (which is open access right now), and a response by Michael. So its a 3 for 1 treat!

The whole issue is published here:

http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/hmca20/current?nav=tocList

Michael has kindly agreed to join the conversation in the coming days, and I encourage you all to have a look at the paper and not to be shy bringing in comments and questions. I think this is a unique opportunity we have for digging into the different ways in which Vygotsky's legacy may live on in current and future CHAT and CHAT-related research/literature.

Alfredo