[Xmca-l] Re: Vygotsky,Marx, & summer reading

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 13:21:24 PDT 2017

Helena:

Yes, the idea that activity is made up of actions, and that if we take away
actions from activity nothing remains (Leontiev). To me, this is an
admission that the whole is merely a sum of parts. Compare Vygotsky's
thought experiment of structuring a game in such a way that we take away
all the roles and we see that abstract rules remain (Chapter Seven in* "Mind
in Society")*.

Similarly, the idea that consciousness is thought into existence by
something called personality (Stern). We are just saying that the earth is
flat, and rests on the back of four elephants, and that these elephants
stand on the back of a turtle, and the turtle is on the back of another
turtle, and it's turtles all the way down. Compare Halliday's distinction
between context of situation (not a material situational setting but a
potential text) and a semantics (the context of situation as processed into
meaning in an actual human mind).

My wife is busy doing a texual analysis of "Middlemarch" these days: she
wants to find the precise moment when authors figured out that not only do
characters speak differently from narrators, and speak differently from
each other, the same character will speak differently to different
interlocutors. What holds the character together is that the differences
are not random, but patterned and motivated, and one of the most first and
most obvious instances is that working class characters speak diffeerntly
to their employers than they do to their mates in the novels of Gaskell
(Mary Barton; North and South, which are both about labor organizing). It's
harder to see in "Middlemarch", because everybody is middle class, but
there are strongly gendered ways of speaking (Dorothea talks one way to her
sister and very differently to Casaubon), as well as interesting exceptions
(the way she talks to Will and to Rosamond).

Apparently, when Eliot started publishing novels, everybody assumed that
"George Eliot" was just a pseudonym for Elizabeth Gaskell. There is even an
amusing letter from Gaskell to Eliot where Gaskell signs herself "George
Eliot".

David Kellogg
Macquarie University

Recent Article: Vygotsky, Halliday, and Hasan: Towards Conceptual
Complementarity

Free E-print Downloadable at:

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/W7EDsmNSEwnpIKFRG8Up/full