[Xmca-l] Re: Which comes first, context or text?

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 22 09:29:07 PDT 2016

This is very much along the lines of what I was thinking Rod:

*I would say that for you, as an already accomplished participant in a
culture of concept systems, the sharing of your oriole experience might
well be with a whole host of internalised others. As adults we can share an
experience with our friends without needing them to be there ('X and Y
would love this').*

Except, i started to think, I can also share with myself, mediated by that
same system of concepts. I can stand there and, post facto, think, "Gee,
its sure rare to see an oriole" and think about last time I saw one there,
or remind myself to get some grape jelly to see if I can entice more to
come visit. And I can sure think about telling my wife when I go back into
the house and the pleasure she will get from knowing we had a distinguished
visitor.

The internal dialogue of consciousness available to an adult is sort of
like sharing with oneself over time. Dialogic imagination?

mike