[Xmca-l] Re: Which comes first, context or text?

Lplarry lpscholar2@gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 10:31:45 PDT 2016

Mike,
I am questioning if there exists undifferentiated experience which becomes differentiated. The not formed becoming formed.
Another way (approach) to this question is if consciousness (awareness) precedes self-consciousness. There may also be non-conscious phenomena?
Now intentional can mean either consciousness in general or self-consciousness in particular.

I was exploring your experience of the cloured flash AS a Surprise that was not an intentional act but I am suggesting this event occurring actually called you TO attention and by attending or focusing opening a space of intentionally acting. This is entering conscious experiencing but is not automatically self-conscious. What was surprising (and occurring on the periphery) was beyond intentional acts but then this phenomena became by this  surprising event calling us to focus a call to intentionality where we are then selecting (differentiating).

The relation of intentional/conscious phenomena becoming self-conscious phenomena which includes naming phenomena ( genetic epistemology as the pursuit of a genuine praxis oriented epistemic ad/venture is a particular kind of naming) but situated in a wider horizon where something surprising fractures auto-nomos (automatic habitual naming).
This relation of surprise existing beyond the boundary of intentional acts can be understood as a calling us (to focus or attend). We can name this response of becoming conscious as intentional or we can limit intentional to the kinds of conscious awareness that becomes auto-nomos or naming phenomena.
This is a judgement call and how we decide determines and commits us to a particular notion of what intentional means.
This is an *existential* question.. By existential I mean an involved/engaged question, a question whose answer commits us to a particular way forward, and expresses uncertainty always open to surprise.
Existence occurring at the base of the mountain of clarity, not a movement of ascent.
The flashing colour as a surprise opens a moment within time and space  calls us. The naming that seems simultaneous  ( a bird) is conditioned by the setting or situation but the surprise as existential within being involved/engaged leads towards naming (often auto-nomos) but the naming is not the
Surprise. The naming is becoming committed within an uncertain surprising occurence of flashing colour that is/was unexpected. The naming is text and that way is the way of value tout court.

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: "mike cole" <mcole@ucsd.edu>
Sent: ‎2016-‎03-‎22 9:17 AM
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Which comes first, context or text?

Hi Larry--

I could follow at least part of that. Sure is a multi-faceted discussion.

I want to ask about your assertion below.

However, this naming [an intentional act] was preceded by a *calling* to
focus from the periphery and this calling to focus on phenomena which show
up could be given multiple names depending on the particular culture of
shared meanings.

My question is about the term intention. I seem to recall David using the
term "conscious" in a similar way. In what sense are you using the phrase,
"intentional act?" Didn't feel like i was expecting the flash of
orange/yellow light, I was looking at differences among finches. No
awareness of search for a word.
(Here Rod's important point that I come to the experience with a rich,
inescapable, tangle of concepts/words may be so interiorized that it is
barely accessible to conscious thought/manipulation.

mike