[Xmca-l] RES: Re: Habits (Greek: ethos)

Maria Judith Sucupira da Costa Lins mariasucupiralins@terra.com.br
Fri Jul 8 03:37:46 PDT 2016

I agree, because habits for ethos is a constructo in polis, society. It is
not conditioned. We can translate for 'habitus' to make it different.
maria

-----Mensagem original-----
De: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu]
Em nome de R.J.S.Parsons
Enviada em: sexta-feira, 8 de julho de 2016 05:38
Para: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Assunto: [Xmca-l] Re: Habits (Greek: ethos)

Sorry, can't keep my hands off this. "Ethos" in Greek is one of those
untranslatable words that bundles up a whole set of concepts without an
equivalent in English. It includes the idea of habits, habitually, but it is
not rght to say it *is* the Greek word for habit.

I'm not against us discussing habits at all; it just awoke the slumbering
classicist in me.

Rob

On 08/07/2016 04:46, Annalisa Aguilar wrote:
> Greg,
>
> (I'm starting a new thread with I hope a less loaded word than ethics).
>
> When you said, "person X habitually responds to a particular type of
situation with behavior Y" I was reminded of JJ Gibson's affordances, but it
depends upon what you mean by "situation," right?

> Just thought to add this to the mix.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Annalisa

---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.