[Xmca-l] Re: Habits (Greek: ethos)

R.J.S.Parsons r.j.s.parsons@open.ac.uk
Mon Jul 11 12:03:02 PDT 2016

I should have replied to this sooner, for which my apologies. I'm afraid
I can't help with Aristotle or the Greek notion of ethics. The
philosophy I did in my classics degree was mostly the pre-Socratics,
with whom I did not get on, much to my subsequent regret. So I'm not
mush use on the classical notion of ethics, except perhaps to comment
that, in a period spanning a thousand years, there will be more than one
notion.

I was really only dealing with the linguistic issue about what the Greek
word "ethos" signified. It did stand for "habit", but might be better
translated in some settings as "custom" or "usage", hence a more
colletive aspect. And it might also signify "character". So there is in
there, I think, a combination of actions called habits, which are
probably individual, but also collective construction in the idea of
usage or custom, and finally the idea of a disposition in character. The
idea of disposition perhaps nudges us towards virtue ethics, as in what
kind of chaacter is a person who has these habits.

Rob