[Xmca-l] Re: Meaning extended from index to Correspondence

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 15:17:07 PDT 2016

I think for Eisenstein the Chinese character was a kind of historico-scope,
a window on the past of montage, rather the way that Vygotsky used
etymology as a window on the past of symbolic meanings (and a way of
demonstrating that they included a metonymic principle, just as Chinese
characters do).

In his essay, he presents the Chinese character in essentially montage
terms. The first characters are simply indexes: a drawing of a horse, "ma"
(third tone),  drawn to look like a horse, as realisitically as one could
manage using a stylus on a slip of bamboo. This is not yet montage. But if
you add the "kou" sign (a small trapezoid figure narrower at the bottom
than the top which is used to suggest a mouth and used as a "root" for any
Chinese character connected with orality and thus with speech) you obtain a
grammatical particle equivalent to speakable question mark, "ma"
(neutral/first tone). "Ma" has the power of transforming any wording into
an utterance. This is my example, not Eisenstein's; it is, as Eisestein
points out, montage, but it's not the montage that he thinks it is--its
actually a montage that confirms his theory even better than he knows.

Eisenstein's own examples involve the juxtaposition of indexes rather than
their classification. So for example the image of an eye is juxtaposed with
the "image" of flowing water, to suggest tears. Both images are indexical;
there is no "correspondence"--that is, no realization relation which can be
coupled and then uncoupled, which would allow us a system of "radicals" and
a way of sorting visible phenomena like horses and tears into invisible
categories like orality and speech. In other words, Eishenstein's own
examples are like the "bricks" he criticizes Kuleshov's theory of montage,
where images are simply composed of elements brought together.  In
Eisenstein, the images are not added up; they are made to conflict and
transform each other, and it's from this "unit" that visual elements are
transformed into concepts. The grammatical particle "ma" is produced by a
collision of images that suggest very different order of phenomena, not by
their combination into a same order of phenomena.

On p. 53 of "Film Form" (New York: Harvest, 1949/1979), Eisenstein
discusses a child's drawing given to him by Luria. It's of the process of
lighting a stove in which the "matches" are portrayed as a zig-zag line in
a large central rectangle, which is superimposed on an otherwise meticulous
reproduction of the stove, the firewood, the chimney. I wonder if
Eisenstein's reading of this drawing is correct--it seems to me to be more
likely to be an attempt to portray the movement of lighting the matches
rather than the matches themselves. It's the child's attempt to confront,
and to overcome through Eisenstein's technique of collision, what has
always been the biggest flaw in the system of Chinese writing: entities are
more drawable than processes, but the act of drawing, the act of depicting,
the act of communicating is a process and not an entity.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University